December 2, 2016

Snowmobile North Dakota

Board of Directors Meeting

December 2, 2016


The Snowmobile North Dakota Board of Directors held a web meeting on December 2, 2016 at the Cobblestone Inn in Bottineau ND.


Members Present: Dale Deibert, Joanne Seifert, Jeff Seifert, Joel Iverson, Jesse Fritz, Perry Britnell, Shawn Cole, Brent Haugen, Mark Forbes, Reily Bata


Excused Absent: Laura Forbes, Sheri Hoffman, Troy Klevgard


Others Present: Todd Thronson – Executive Director, Tari Norby – Office Manager, Matt Gardner – NDPRD


  1. Call to order at 6:05PM by Joanne Seifert
  2. Approve Agenda – Shawn made a motion to accept the updated agenda, seconded by Dale, approved by all members present
  • Approve Minutes
    1. The minutes of the September meeting were e-mailed to all board members prior to the meeting.
    2. Reily made a motion to accept the minutes, seconded by Mark, approved by all members present
  1. Financial Reports
    1. The financial reports were e-mailed to all board members prior to the meeting
    2. Mark made a motion to accept the financial reports as written, seconded by Brent, approved by all members present
  2. Reports
    1. President’s Report: nothing reported as Troy not present at the meeting
    2. Office Report:
      1. Johnson’s Sports Center and Wild Bills pulled their advertising from SnoDak News
      2. Board of Directors articles, please be timely
  • First benchmark form due in the office by December 15th
  1. NDPRD Report:
    1. NDPRD team met with Burgum transition team, brief discussion on snowmobiling which seemed interesting to Governor Burgum
    2. Revenue from registrations is steady even though registrations numbers down but gas tax numbers are up
  • What is allowed on a snowmobile trail? Tracked bikes OK but not side-by-sides. Class I tracked trail usage permit enact next year as it will take that long to get stickers, books, permits all up and running and to get information out to the public.
  1. Eric has had to send enforcement guys to the DAPL protests so Safety Classes delayed due to staffing shortages
  1. Committee Reports
    1. Equipment Committee
      1. New groomer to Red River north Grafton
      2. Drag to Sheyenne Valley
  • Using the 2015 grant this year, will use 2016 & 2017 grants to get 2 groomers next year
  1. The 8’ drag in Casselton will go to the NorthEast
  1. Budget Committee – no updates
  2. Regulations Committee – no updates
  3. Awards and Nominations Committee – no updates
  4. Trails Operations Committee – all trails are closed but some should be able to open soon with all the snow that the state has had recently
  • Old Business
    1. Probation Systems – the NE is on probation until June 2019.
    2. Groomer Tracking Software & Mapping Program Update – Todd has been running the software in his pickup for testing since the groomers are not running now. He will schedule meetings with trail coordinators with the regional meetings when all the software issues are ironed out.
    3. Saskatoon Snow Show – Todd and Dale went in November, had 14526 people, tourism vendors, would definitely recommend going again
    4. NOHVCC Report – Dale and Todd went to Great Falls MT for classes, insurance, building trails, multiple use clubs / trails in many states, use OHV grant for funds to go NDPRD sent us
    5. 1st Benchmark
      1. ½ grooming payment when no grooming is done can be viewed as misappropriation of funds so need to figure out another way to get payment to the clubs when no grooming is actually done but the trails get set up (signs up, signs down, trails grubbed, fuel used for set up and tear down)
      2. Clubs to talk it over at meetings and bring suggestions back to Todd and Tari
  • New Business
    1. Officer-At-Large / Board of Director = Rugby area member missing member all year
    2. Grant and Aid Application: $1049.50 total – Reily made a motion to give $700 to Lake Region and $349.50 to Rugby, seconded by Mark, approved by all present the motion carried
    3. CERT training – emergency rescue on sleds – if clubs are interested, get in contact with Todd and Tari and they’ll get you in contact with correct FEMA person
    4. 2017 & 2018 Convention Hosts = no bids as of yet
    5. 2018 State Ride = no bids received yet but have heard Walhalla wants it
    6. 2017 State Ride = Rugby ND February 4th at Rugby Eagles Club
  1. Adjournment
    1. Shawn made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Reily, approved by all members present – meeting adjourned at 7:20PM.
Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.